Calhoun County is centrally located in South Carolina. Its location is often described as the heart of the Palmetto State. It is uniquely positioned halfway between New York and Miami. St. Matthews is located 32 miles from the state's capital, Columbia. The cost of living in Calhoun County is lower than the national average. Low property taxes, low crime rate, affordable living, mild weather, and friendly people make this county appealing and attractive.
The School District of Calhoun County is accredited by the State Department of Education and AdvancEd. Calhoun County has 3 public schools: two K-8 schools, and one high school. Generally, the pupil/teacher ratio is 15:1 and the total enrollment is 1,745.
The mission of Calhoun County Public Schools is to empower all students to compete and succeed in an ever-changing global society.
Empower. Compete. Succeed.
Our vision is to be a premier, competitive school district recognized globally for embracing the needs of each student in a safe and nurturing environment.
- in establishing and maintaining high expectations for all students in a safe and nurturing environment.
- in providing challenging and rigorous experiences to develop confident and competent students
- in fostering cooperation and collaboration among stakeholders to promote engaging learning experiences
- in an environment that encourages all to appreciate diversity
- in every student being responsible for his or her choices and actions
- in change that provides opportunities for academic, social, emotional, and personal growth
- technology is an integral part of our learning communities for success in a global society